Skyrim Online
We got animations working ! - Printable Version

+- Skyrim Online (http://skyrim-online.com)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: We got animations working ! (/showthread.php?tid=1441)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: We got animations working ! - Korvynus - 10-03-2015 01:45 AM

I really hope Yamashi or someone else will continue the work made on SkyrimOnline... Open-source project is always better in my opinion for things like a mod for a game. Sadly, Siegfre took the wrong path with his TamrielOnline mod...

RE: We got animations working ! - leapformula4 - 10-03-2015 06:20 AM

Hello Yamashi,

I wanted to ask you about your code:
https://github.com/yamashi/SkyrimOnline/blob/cpp/Code/disasm/disasm.c

could you explain how your overall program is organized?

There are four folders on the main page, and each one with subfolders, with hundreds of .cpp and .h files in total.

I just was interested in how the whole program interacts.

I have some C++ experience but not enough to understand what is going on!

Thanks,
leapformula4

RE: We got animations working ! - BenDover - 10-03-2015 09:42 PM

(10-03-2015 01:45 AM)Korvynus Wrote:  I really hope Yamashi or someone else will continue the work made on SkyrimOnline... Open-source project is always better in my opinion for things like a mod for a game. Sadly, Siegfre took the wrong path with his TamrielOnline mod...

What's wrong with his TO?

RE: We got animations working ! - MeGaMaN - 10-03-2015 09:57 PM

(10-03-2015 09:42 PM)BenDover Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 01:45 AM)Korvynus Wrote:  I really hope Yamashi or someone else will continue the work made on SkyrimOnline... Open-source project is always better in my opinion for things like a mod for a game. Sadly, Siegfre took the wrong path with his TamrielOnline mod...

What's wrong with his TO?

I'm not sure what he meant, but it is different from the path SO took.
Nevertheless, it's not wrong if it satisfies the community.

RE: We got animations working ! - Korvynus - 10-03-2015 11:18 PM

Actually, most people have bugs and CTD with his mod. So I don't know if the community is realy satisfied... Without to mention his mod is not open source like I said, wich is very frustrating. He could put malicious code if he wanted, nobody would know since the code isn't open source. Simply the point why TO is "wrong" for me.

RE: We got animations working ! - MeGaMaN - 10-04-2015 02:21 AM

(10-03-2015 11:18 PM)Korvynus Wrote:  Actually, most people have bugs and CTD with his mod. So I don't know if the community is realy satisfied... Without to mention his mod is not open source like I said, wich is very frustrating. He could put malicious code if he wanted, nobody would know since the code isn't open source. Simply the point why TO is "wrong" for me.

I'm not sure how closed that project can be, since he took a bunch of stuff from SO's open source code.

RE: We got animations working ! - Korvynus - 10-04-2015 03:29 AM

Oh really? I was a bit worried about that too... So he took some portions of the code from SO without telling a word to Yamashi or what? o.O

RE: We got animations working ! - leapformula4 - 10-04-2015 03:34 AM

And btw, I'm not trying to steal your code. I'm a programming student and I thought it would be really cool if I could help you guys out somehow.

RE: We got animations working ! - MeGaMaN - 10-04-2015 05:08 AM

@Korvynus & leapformula4,
This code is open-source, but it is licensed. I'm quite sure he can use it and since Yamashi is aware of it and hasn't done anything about it, he doesn't mind. The code was quite unfinished to begin with.

As of right now, i don't think there would be any trouble even if someone took the code and built a alternative version.

Also, i'm not 100% clear on exactly what he took for his code, but i did ask it's possibility from Yamashi, and he was convinced that Siegfre had taken (something) from the code (Yamashi went through his code a week ago)

EDIT: For anyone interested in working the code, here's the license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
Now, why Siegfre hasn't credited SO for the code is questionable. It can very well just be that it's a misconception that he would have taken anything from the code.
So as of now, this stays my personal opinion of the matter, and shouldn't be quoted.

RE: We got animations working ! - BenDover - 10-04-2015 06:12 AM

(10-03-2015 11:18 PM)Korvynus Wrote:  He could put malicious code if he wanted, nobody would know since the code isn't open source. Simply the point why TO is "wrong" for me.

Use VMware and you'll be fine.